The Ethiopian Sport Federation in North America (ESFNA) has partnered last year with Deenk Ethiopian Brand Consultant, a marketing and event management company founded by Ermias Ayele to add a running and jogging event to its annual soccer tournament to celebrate Ethiopian athletes’ achievements and running tradition. The first edition of the running event was successful staged during the 2022 ESFNA annual festival in Maryland.
The second edition of the running event will take place during the 40th anniversary ESFNA in Wylie, Texas and the event will be staged at the Founders Park which is walking 3 minutes walk from the Wylie stadium where the main soccer tournament and festival is taking place. Registration for the 5km adult and 1mile children run will start soon.
- Run date: Friday 7 July 2023, 5km starts at 7:30am
- Distances: 5km adult and1mile children
- Start time:7:30am for 5km and 8:00am 1mile races
- Registration fee: June early bird $30 for Adult & $20 for children
$40 for Adult & $25 for children in July
- Runners will get: race t-shirt before race and finishers medal when they finish the event
- Race message: Celebrating the Ethiopian Athletes Achievement
- Charity support: 5% of registration goes to support Meseret Humanitarian Organization working to empower women throughout Ethiopia
TWO REGISTRATION METHODS:
- Option 1: Online registration (click here)
- Option 2: Limited tickets will be available during the 2023 ESFNA festival (2 – 6 July). We advise participants to register earlier in June online to guarantee your participation.
Deenk Ethiopia Team
Deenk Ethiopia is cofounded by Ermias Ayele who has lead the biggest road race in Africa for over eleven year and has an extensive event management experience. Ermias has finished the 2023 Rome Marathon barefoot to honor the father of Ethiopian Athletics, Abebe Bikila. Abebe’s historic victory at the 1960 Rome Olympics Marathon where he won barefoot is where the seeds of Ethiopian athletics were planted.
The other two prominent Deenk Ethiopia team members are:
- Athlete Assefa Mezgebu renowned Ethiopian Olympic medalist who is well known for the role he played at the 2000 Sydney Olympics 10,000m doing the team work with Haile which was very important for Haile’s neck to neck victory with Paul Tergat. Assefa has done his degree in Sport Management from the University of South Carolina. See Assefa’s athletics profile form the World Aathletics Federation website
- Tebabu Assefa works in media to promote African culture, and his use of stories to excite markets for African products has resulted in a new model, which creates international market linkages for higher-value and profit-sharing with farmers to foster and advance economic and social development.